September 9, 2009

cookies and cornbread. don't judge.

I got crazy sick last week and for whatever reason it affected my asthma really badly. I basically couldn't and kind of still can't walk up stairs without feeling like I can't breathe. I was feeling a little stir crazy on Sunday so I decided I was going to make soup. Soup morphed into vegetarian chili which naturally led to cornbread. I love me some cornbread.

Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread

I searched all over my favorite recipe websites before finding Ina Garten's jalapeno cheddar cornbread recipe. It was soooo good. Of course anything with two sticks of melted butter had better be really good.
Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten (I just used regular eggs and it was fine)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided (I used about 4-6 ounces)
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers (I left the seeds in for an extra spice)

Directions

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (it took me about 40 minutes for some reason). Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

To be even more of a fat kid I made these chocolate chip cookies while letting the chili cook (recipe and picture courtesy of With This Nest).


Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (room temp if possible)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used 1/4 a bag of semi sweet and 1/2 bag of milk chocolate)

Directions:
Cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar together in a mixer. Then add the eggs, one at a time. Beat until creamy. Add the vanilla. (Don't accidentally add half the bottle because you weren't paying attention like I did. I had to pour half the vanilla down the sink - stupid me.)

In another bowl mix the dry ingredients together before slowly adding them to the creamed mixture. When combined, stop the mixer and add the semi-sweet chips. Mix up and then drop by the teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Mold them into a ball as best as you can with the spoon for a more shaped cookie.

Bake on 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool.

Yummm.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. YUM. I love me some cornbread too. I made the cornbread recipie you gave me in my 'bridal cookbook' and it was so yummy. I'll have to try out these recipies...or maybe when you visit we can bake! That or just make a trip to sprinkles cupcakes. :) I'm SO excited to seee yooouuuuu. Too bad its over a month away. :(

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin